Saturday, March 8, 2014

Judging others

So our neighborhood is like out of a movie.
It's like Pleasantville. Adorable. Very family friendly, we have a massive park RIGHT behind our house with the coolest darn playground (so excited to take the girls!)
So I was pretty excited to meet some of our neighbors...I figured they'd be family type people with kids and such. 
But the first neighbor we met didn't give us the best impression right off the bat...

I tend to not be very judgmental at all and usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but occasionally I indulge in some judgemental thoughts. 

So, this is a hilarious but also pretty sad story...
So one day while getting into the car, our next door neighbors were getting on their bikes and the woman was clearly VERY drunk. 
I mean...STOOONE FAAAACED drunk.
She stumbled over and went to shake johns hand and her first words to him were, "I am f***ed up!"
Whoaaa...
Then she stumbled over to me and when I introduced myself and shook her hand she just kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" while sort of bowing to me...it was odd.
Then she just said "I WILL BRING YOU COOKIES".
Gianna was looking at her like she was a crazy person. 

Then off they rode on their cute little bikes.

We got into our car and glanced at eachother with the "what the heck just happened" eyes and then giggled a bit. 
John couldn't believe they were riding their bikes being so severely drunk.

So off we went, to the store.
About a half mile away we saw a car sort of break hard and pull off to the side of the rode, and there we saw our neighbor, Missy, face down on a man hole cover all tangled up in her bike. Her boyfriend hunched over her looking concerned.
The woman in the car that stopped jumped out to make sure everything was ok and we stopped as well (it looked like she was dead. It was freaky)

We wondered if she would remember us later...

Jump to the next day..
I was outside doing something and Missy came up and introduced herself to me. She clearly had ZERO memory of meeting me before.
I looked at her and checked out her face to see if she had any scratches or cuts and sort if chuckled in my mind.

Today she did the same thing with John and we both chuckled later that she didn't remember us at all. But she was very nice and we let it go.

Jump to another story that will tie this all together...
Yesterday I was taking pictures of our house for my blog when I realized someone had put patio furniture on our patio that wasn't there before..
I knew it wasn't there before but I sort of questioned if somehow I had just overlooked it or missed it but then I noticed it was sitting on TOP of all of the snow and ice. So someone had put it there recently. 
Then I was even more weirded out.
I showed John and we were both a bit creeped out. 
Thankful for the nice gesture but creeped out because whoever did it, did it at night and right outside of Gianna's room. 
The idea of someone just sneaking around our yard was creepy even though it ended in a nice gesture.

Today when Missy introduced herself to john, she asked if we liked our new furniture. (We do)
I was immediately relieved to know who the culprit was, but also thought, oh great, some drunk thinks it's ok to sneak around our house at night. Awesome.

Quickly a quote from Elder Uchtdorf popped into my head.
"Do not judge me becuase I sin differently than you"

I had been massively judging this woman and instead of assuming "wow, what nice person left us this furniture" or "wow, how nice of her, how lucky are we to have a neighbor so thoughtful and generous" I immediately went to the negative.

Very sad.

I'm so thankful for the beautiful story from Elder Uchtdorf that quickly put me into my place and helped me remember that everyone has thier own struggles and that we are all children of God. None better than another.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment