Tuesday, July 31, 2012

running.....SHOOT ME!


I know there are quite a few runners who read my blog...
So runners, listen up. I need some help!

Before I got pregnant I REALLY wanted to get back into shape.
Unfortunately I had major hip issues until I was 7 months post partum and was pregnant 9 months post partum (AAAH!) annnd it just never really happened
Now that I have the opportunity to get in better shape I am TAKING IT!

Do I like my body? ABSOLUTELY NOT
But that's not why I want to run
I really am worried about my heart and lungs
I am only 27 and my heart at lungs are in TERRIBLE shape
Not only that but since I got married (poor john) 
everything has DRASTICALLY gone down hill...health wise
I dont want to be a broken old lady
and i want to be able to run around with my kids and teach them healthy habits! 

soooo
running is what I would like to do
I know that when I was in basic training i DESPISED running and then at one point it just clicked and I could do it, and i felt like i could run forever and i LOVED it!
So i know that its possible (hahaha)
And being able to finish in a race someday would mean a lot to me!

but starting out i am embarassed to admit that I litterally have a hard time running for two minutes staight. 
I have downloaded this ap that is called "couch to 5k" 
It starts you out real slow and slowly gets you to work your way up to being able to run further and further. 

What I want to know is...
what are some good tips for first time runners. (or runners in general)
and maybe if you werent always a runner, tell me your story! How long did it take you to feel like you werent going to die. ha!

3 comments:

  1. Two comments in one day... I promise I'm not stalking you. Anyway. My advice is to find a running partner! I like to distract myself in a conversation, plus, I'm less likely to give up if I'm with someone. I started running in Septemberish time and I'm running a half marathon in a month (gulp) but I still have a love/hate relationship with running. If you ever need a partner, I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing Kelli! I hope I can actually stick to it this time and get in shape!
      I would LOVE to run with you once I can actually run....haha!

      Delete
  2. I 2nd Kelli's idea to get someone to run with. Someone who won't let you quit and push you just a bit farther. Other options... music. Make a running playlist. I got a garmin for Christmas a few years back, and while expensive, for me it's a huge motivator. Knowing how far I have until the next quarter or half mile gives me the little goals to work toward. Some people do time instead of distance. Running is one of those things. Love it and hate it. Good luck! I'm scared to start running up here after I have this baby. 6000 ft elevation! I might die.

    ReplyDelete