Yes, It is true. Our lovely apartment smells like delicious burnt muslin fabric! Joy!
Ok, ok! I have an explainantion! So I was working on a little project. I have decided that my projects will all involve what I want our future home to look like. How I want the living room (colors and all) same goes for the bedroom, office and such. So I have been very indecisive about the colors I want in our future bedroom (meaning, when I have the money to decorate in the way I really want to! :)). Sometimes I want it to be dark (navy blues) and sometimes I want soft "romantical" colors. I just can't put my finger on which one! I like my room PITCH BLACK when I sleep at night (Even the teeny tiny red light on my phone charger drives me INSANE...I usually cover it with my spare sweatshirt that happens to be laying on the floor by the bed...I mean...that is folded nicely in my closet where it belongs :)). So in that case, dark would be perfect, right? But I tend to believe that most people let their bedroom be the last place they really decorate, and inturn it becomes the ugly, unfinished "left over" sort of room...and considering that John and I don't even use our living room at this point, I don't want that to happen! So, in that case, I want it to be a little romantic get away!
By the way....Am I the only one who looks at pictures of houses in magazines and such, and thinks "Oooo! I like that! But where would all my stuff go!?". I am pretty sure the trick to having a beautiful house, is being a minimalist, and that, I am not. Boo. Oh well, (This is for you Melissa....) .."Make it work!"
Ok getting back to the muslin story. I have these big oversized black leather pillows (that I used to pair with my classy leopard comforter...oooooh yea baby!) that I plan on covering. I LOVE these dang pillows, but the really expensive, high quality (ha!) leather is flaking off, and it gets all over John. It makes him look like he has black dandruff! (I dont know whyyy the pillow always ends up on his side...hm, it's a mystery!) So anywho, I seem to be rambling today, bare with me, so I plan on covering these pillows with some sort of nice, cozy, soft fabric and I am pretty sure it will be a neutral color...maybe brown? So since I dont have the money to go buy bulk brown fabric at the moment, I decided I would work on some cute embellishments I could add to the pillows when I do finally cover them. I had some spare muslin laying around and so I thought that would be perfect. I decided a cute little flower would be perfect! Plus, it will make John feel really manly while in the bedroom! :) haha...poor men...they think they have a say in decorating...ha....Ok ok, getting back to my point. So I started working on my first flower. I did the first row of petels and thought "hm...this doesn't look right" but, against my better judgment, I kept going. Two problems with that; The flower had a dimension of ZERO. It was basically completely flat...real cute....AND I had just wasted almost all my muslin because I made the flower the size of texas...oops.
So, with the scraps I had left, I made a smaller, more porportioned size flower and I bunched up the petals more to give it some more dimension. When I got to the middle of the flower, I thought it needed something a little different, so I made a different kind of "twistie" flower and glued it in the middle. Oh...and for all of you who are wondering....the glue in hot glue guns is...well....HOT. As I looked at my precious little flower, I knew it was missing something, so I mixed up some brown paint and water, and painted it on the very edge of the petals..which ultimately looked like a disaster SO....To the lighter I go!
I decided I would burn the edges of the muslin, because that would give it even MORE dimension, right? RIGHT! It turned out pretty cute! But in the process I saturated everything in our house with a nice, dirty, plasticy, burnt muslin smell....mmmm mmm mm.
(Side note....It would be a lovely idea to burn the edges BEFORE you glue them all together...much easier. Also, I couldn't burn the edges of the fabric in the middle because I had already twisted it up and glued it down :( boo! I tried, but the middle piece just ended up looking completely dirty....oh well, ya live and ya learn, right?!)
It could have turned out a heck of a lot cuter but, it's midnight, it's been a LONG day and it made some time go by faster.
(You like my really crappy 30 second photoshop "This is what it might look like" job? yea...I thought so.)
I will add some more little touches later, but its just too late!
Goodnight Blogger world!!
No comments:
Post a Comment