A couple nights ago there was a HUGE storm here (and apparently all over the northwest). It started earlier in the day with HUGE gusts of wind. I was outside with Gunner, taking him potty, and it was pretty windy, but nothing extravagant. Gunner lifted his leg to pee, and an ENORMOUS wind gust blew through. I said out loud to Gunner, "Its ok", but because the wind was going SO fast I couldn't even hear myself! It was incredible!!! Gunner was SO scared, and the wind was pushing him around a bit. He just crawled his way to my feet and layed belly down! Hunched over, and so afraid!! I picked him up and held him until the wind seemed to die down again, but it was almost like a hurricane in the way that it came in waves! So Gunner did his thing and we went inside.
As the day went on, it got worse and worse. The wind was howling like I have never heard wind howl before and it started to rain pretty hard. Gunner refused to go outside, even though I knew he needed to. Poor guy. Later that night, when John came home from work, Gunner seemed really anxious to go outside (maybe his daddy made him feel safer?) So we took him outside. It was 1:00 in the morning!! We went out and were standing out there saying "Go potty! Go potty!", with the rain coming down, completely sideways. It was awful. Then, right as Gunner was about to lift his leg, hail came down SO hard, and SO fast, I leaned over Gunner to protect him from the hail so he could pee again, and then the lightening struck! OH MY GOODNESS! I swear I could feel the heat from that lightening bolt. It had to have been pretty close and it was SO SCARY!!! I, standing outside of our neighbors windows, screamed so loud, and then picked Gunner up and took him into the hallway between the apartments. The wind was so strong, it was pushing me! The rain and hail was hurting me! and Gunner still had to pee! Finally, I set him down and i think he realized he just needed to get his business done! We weren't going to be taking a walk tonight! (like we usually do)
As John and I layed inside, trying to sleep that night, the lights flickered, we heard big branches scraping across our roof, shingles flying off. It was nuts! I even looked outside and metal street poles were waving like thin baby trees! I got us some flashlights and put one by my side of the bed, and one by his side, just in case. I also put one outside our roommates door (come to find out later, that she was terrified, and hiding behind her bed in her room, fearing that the window would cave in!) It was just incredible.
In the morning, when i looked out the window, there were shingles EVERYWHERE. After driving John to school, and looking from the road, i noticed that a lot of our apartment building's roof, you could see through to the plywood! Our poor maintenance guy (who is bran new!) had to pick up all the shingles! It was a big job and I felt bad about it, so i picked up a few for him too.
Now, two days later, it has snowed! There is snow in the grass, but it obviously didn't stick to the streets. Uhg! It makes me so nervous for our Christmas drive to Seattle! Will this be Christmas 2008 all over? (Although, that's when I met John, so it can't be that bad of a repeat, right?) I think we are due for a wicked winter, but let's hope it waits until after Christmas!
Yeah that night was so crazy. I however did not seem to notice that there was a storm outside and slept right through it. It was the next morning as I am taking my kids to school and myself that people were walking blocks to get their trash cans, tree's were down, and I mean like full soze tress bracading roads and fallen on fences and such. Oh it did some damage for sure. Glad no one got hurt while you were letting gunner do his thing. I hope this winter is nothing like 2008's that was just too much!
ReplyDelete