Sunday, November 25, 2012

Big girl bed!

Yesterday John and I decided that it would be a good idea to switch Gianna from her crib, to a toddler bed. 
I have been thinking about doing it for a while now, and although my motherly instinct told me it might be a smidge too early, it also was telling me that she'd do just fine with the transition.

We wanted to make the transition because we have lots of moving around coming up and it would be VERY helpful if she could just sleep on a mattress during the moves. 
In May we will be going to Denver and we wont be taking anything with us really, we will be storing our stuff here in WA. 
So it would be awesome if we could just take her mattress for her to sleep on and then get rid of it when we leave Denver. (not nearly as big of a loss as getting rid of the whole crib)
We will be going straight from Denver to Taiwan so we don't want to have stuff floating around all over the country. ha. 

I wanted to give her plenty of time to get used to it, if she needed, so we painted the little side rails yesterday (we forgot to bring them to spokane when we originally painted the crib) and daddy installed them.

Gianna really liked playing on her new bed and getting up and down.
We rolled up some blankets and put them under the fitted sheet in the opening - just in case.

On a normal night we usually get her in bed at 9:00 with no crying or fussing.
She knows her routine and is happy to go to sleep.
Tonight we had to make a few adjustments but it was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
Tonight it looked like this:

9:00 - In bed like normal, no crying or fussing or getting out of bed (SHOCK!)
9:45 - woke up screaming and crying hysterically by her door. (she doesn't have an actual door on her room so we put up a baby gate at her door so she couldnt wander.) She was SO upset and we really couldnt calm her down. It was weird. So we let her come lay on the couch with us and we watched tv for a half hour)
10:15 - in bed again, sound asleep
10:30 - awake, crying and waiting at her door again. but not crying as hard, and much easier to console
10:45 - John comes out from soothing her and happily says, "she's unconscious!"

I snuck intp her room a bit later and took some pictures - I know, I know, I live on the edge!
I even managed to use the AWESOME flash on my iPhone (Dear iPhone - your flash SUCKS)
She slept the whole night in her bed and when John went to get her in the morning he said she wasnt really crying much and was standing at the door waiting. 
So proud of her and SOOO thankful for an easy baby!



No comments:

Post a Comment