Monday, May 7, 2012

Violent babies

Oh boy
Gianna has become quite the little tantrum thrower
And she actually gets kind of violent!
I know it's likely just a phase but it's a bit unsettling.
I am not sure where she learned to pinch/scratch/slap/kick and flail her body when she is angry, but BOY does she!
I have scratches all over from her doing those things, and even a few bruises! (babies are STRONG!!)
I usually try to ignore her when she is throwing a tantrum.
So as to not reinforce the behavior but if she is really hurting me I will tell her that she is hurting mommy and show her how to be "gentle" and "soft"...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Today at church she started getting a bit "grumpy" and started to pinch me so we left the room to go play and crawl and sing songs...
Walking down the hallway she had a full blown melt down. Trying to push me away from her while throwing her body back and then pinching kicking scratching and slapping when that didn't work.
I couldn't believe it
Its been happening more and more
Usually I let her "do her thing" while trying to completely ignore her and when she acts nice again, I give her a little praise for being a nice girl again. It seems to make it better but only until the next time

It's interesting how much character and personality an 8 month old baby can have!

She also has been "testing" me in other ways.
I'm about 90% that she understands what the phrase "no-no" means.
Most of the time when she's doing something and I say no-no...she will look at me, knowingly, and stop.
But sometimes she will test me.
For instance...
There was a piece of fuzz on the ground from a dog toy and I watched her as she crawled towards it.
I knew what she wanted to do (eat it) so I said "no-no Gianna"...she looked at me, looked at the fuzz, looked back at me and then tried to crawl really fast to the fuzz.
So I said it again.
This time she put her hand on the fuzz, looked at me, and took her hand away. Then did that again and again until she finally put it in her mouth.
UHG...this girl is certainly teaching me patience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment