Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My little puke machine

Have I mentioned that Gianna eats EVERY HOUR!
Oh, I haven't?
Well yes, in fact, she does.

My mom was talking to someone recently who said, "That's not right! My friends with babies feed them every three hours or so"
Unfortunately for this little girly, it's right.
Even my doctor praised me for "sticking to my maternal instinct"
She is growing at an even pace from birth and is in the 60th percentile in just about all areas
(75% for her big ol' head :))

I started feeding her for about 3 minutes at a time, every hour
because she was puking SO much
and after about 3 minutes, she really didnt mind if i "cut her off".
Because I only feed for a few minutes at a time, she eats every hour
It has SERRRRRRRRRRIOUSLY cut down on the puking
I had a lot of people suggest that she might have acid reflux or a few different types of "problems" because of the puking, but she never seemed in pain and it never seemed to bother her.
My doctor said that the little "flap" that keeps food from coming back up doesn't always work right in babies and so thats why they puke
Giving her less "food" to deal with at a time, keeps that "flap" from opening up
She almost never pukes now, which is SO nice
I was really getting sick of smelling like old milk!

I think the dogs are bummed though
as they liked helping "clean up" her puke..
(GROSSSSSSSSSSSS. I know!)

2 comments:

  1. You are a champ! I would go a little crazy if I nursed every hour! Mother of the year award goes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey had a problem with that too. I found if I kept her upright for 10-15 minutes after she ate and made sure she burped, she was way less likely to spit up.

    ReplyDelete